Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Friday, February 23, 2007

TV 101: Introduction

(Ok, so I started delving into random thoughts about television in my last post about Grey's Anatomy. Since they were random and jumbled and mixed up and, basically, one long train of thought with no direction, I thought I'd make an effort and condense my thoughts into something coherent.)

The purpose of these next posts are to attempt to deconstruct the basic tenets of television genres. I want to be clear: I'm not an expert on anything. These are just opinions of mine based on what I remember and what I've seen. If I plagiarized something inadvertently, I apologize. I legitimately don't remember reading anything specific that would've led me to these opinions. If I write something you disagree with, please let me know. I'll be happy to consider your opinion (or fact).

So, I'm going to divide my thoughts into two separate sections: sitcoms (or comedies) and hour-long dramas (tragedies). There are several reasons for this. First, and more significantly, is that the field of television shows in general follow this dichotomy already. Secondly, this is the classic division of fiction: comedy and tragedy. It's the way Shakespeare's plays are divided and have been used countless times throughout the history of fiction. (Of course, in Shakespearean literature, comedies ended in marriages and tragedies ended in death so the rules have been changed somewhat in the last 400 years.) Since television tends to lean toward half-hour sitcoms for comedy and hour-long dramas for tragedies, that seems to be the most natural way to discuss these topics. I'll point out why, in my opinion, these are the natural ways to display these two attitudes.

I'll probably have appendices as well at the end to discuss random topics that come up along the way. I had a plan for the first one but it came to me a couple of days ago and I've since forgotten, largely, what I wanted to discuss.

I'm going to attempt to write these in a timely manner. If I completely forget to write the last part, I apologize now. I get distracted easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home