Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Prelude

So, I decided to start a blog. (This is not so surprising, if you're already reading it.) I know this seems hypocritical, considering that I have a webpage sitting in neglect (which I don't think I can touch any more, considering I'm not a UCSC student any more) and a Xanga also in neglect (which I will update. Sometime... soon...). The purpose of this blog is to provide an outlet for my thoughts (and boredom) when I'm at work.

So, I suppose this blog will consist of postings about thoughts I have throughout the day as well as random news items that I happen to read or whatever catches my flittering attention for the moment. Hopefully, because I have quite a bit of downtime at work, I'll be updating this more often than not. (Oh, in case you're curious, the title of this blog Rumble, young man, rumble is of course a phrase popularized by Muhammed Ali. It's one of my favorite quotes and I used it as the title of my graduation speech that I gave for Cowell College at UCSC. I find it very inspirational as a quote and a good motto to live a life by.)

I think, for a first post (made, ironically, while NOT at work), I'll talk about blogging. Blogging, or web logging in longhand, is the practice of keeping an online journal. What seemed to start out to me as nothing more than a whimsical tentacle of what's possible for the Internet. More and more, however, it seems that blogging is taking a more central position in the lives of those around us. It's become a more formalized expression of beliefs and ideas, rather than just a "today I saw..." form of self-indulgence. Blogging's changed the way that people are able to understand one another and the world around them. Blogs are starting to pop up in every aspect of life. Business blogs are becoming more and more popular with authors placing very professional looking and sounding posts about new ways to change your office life. Fashion blogs (as I have several friends who keep them) have popped up. Authors post short stories and poems. Physicists post new revelations (check out Michio Kaku for a great website). Political analysts use blogs to provide understanding for the world around us in timely fashion. (Read this. I swear, it's worth it.) Along those lines, blogging seems to me more valuable than just a simple fascination. In that vein, I hope to find much use out of this blog. Just bear with me when I blab on and on like I have just done.

Also, don't hurt me if I find stew-pid things to talk about. Like wrestling. Which will happen shortly. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home