Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What day of the week is it? Friday yet? No? Drat.

It's Wednesday. I think. *checks system tray* Yep. Wednesday. (Why's there that "d" in Wednesday? I think I remember it being from like Nordic descent or something. I'll try to look for it later if I'm bored.)

I had a thought at the end of the day yesterday that I never followed through into a post. It was mostly about the Chinese language/culture. I was in a meeting with my boss and boss's boss and the China team boss (I was just there to take meeting minutes). Anyway, someone used the phrase (and I'm dramatically paraphrasing here because I have a combination of bad memory and lack of paying attention working together at the moment). It was something to the effect of don't use a machete to kill a fly. Americans have a similar idiom also about killing a fly with an extraordinarily elaborate method. (I think it's with a gun in the American idiom.) Anyway, I noticed that the idiom was just thrown out there in the middle of the conversation and it was simply accepted. That got me thinking about the Chinese language. It's highly idiomatically heavy. There are tons of phrases that are used in a ton of different ways all the time. It's much more so that any Western language that I've heard. I think we take for granted the inherent art of the Asian culture. The language itself is only an indication of how highly regarded the art is. However, there's a strong emphasis on the field of science in the culture. Chinese people attempt to excel in math and science and tend to succeed. The Chinese were a major innovator in the "Old World" timeline of when innovation just getting its first kick in the pants. Armed with a naval fleet that rivaled Britain's, China was one of the first countries to venture into sea exploration back in the 1300's-1400's. Had the emperor not suddenly recalled and destroyed the sea exploration missions, China would've undoubtedly beaten Europe to America. (They actually went West from China, meaning them were headed toward Africa through the Indies.) I think the unique quality of Chinese/Japanese art comes from their desire to satiate both the math/science side as well as the art/innovation side. This mixing results in a very unique style of artistic expression. The minimalism of brush painting and zen koans or the precise nature of Haiku seems to reflect this conjoining of concepts. Anyway, it's a rich culture. That's all.

Oh, I thought of an idea for Corporate Bob, a guy I drew just randomly one day. It could be good fodder for a comic. We'll see where this goes.

That's it for now. I'll post more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home