Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Chic

So it's been 2 years since I first understood the deep rooted impact of Louis Vitton purses. I saw them before that but it was 2 years ago when I first truly started noticing how rampant they were. As fads go, I figured that the Louis Vitton purses would either become mainstream to a crippling degree or be replaced with another haute couture accessory item.

2 years later and Louis Vitton purses are still treading desperately between the snobby-like sense of proprietary and the mass availability standard that Gucci-ish brands have descended to. How does Louis Vitton continue to straddle this fence? Even now, it seems that everybody has at least 2 LV purses or bags, despite each one costing 700 or more dollars, and yet their still desired, rare, and unique in a collective fashion sense. LV still enjoys the reputation of being a bag of high society but they also enjoy being able to sell their bags to just about anybody because just about everybody's gotten one. So where does this market dominance come from? Is it because Louis Vitton makes the best purse in the industry? Is it because a LV purse has a very distinctive style? (I don't know about quality because I've never used a purse or a bag but the style is quite distinct. Not enough to warrent market dominance though.) I have no earthly idea except that this is the same market dominance that Google enjoys. It seems that Google and Louis Vitton are the peak of capitalistic creativity.


ADDENDUM: Good news and bad news. Good news is someone actually reads my blog! Bad news is that Vitton is actually spelled Vuitton in real life. My bad. Thanks Judy for catching this! =)

1 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

I don't have an LV purse....I don't know if I would get one, either, even if I could afford it. $700 for a purse is a little much, I think.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home