Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Philanthropy and loneliness

I wonder: does the sense of philanthropy have a direct correlation with the feeling of loneliness? I mean, the core of a relationship is the concept that a relationship is built upon a sense of need/wish fulfillment. I want, I need, therefore you give and vice versa. (BTW, if your relationship is not built upon a sense of generosity, you need to seriously reevaluate.) Do we have an inherent need to provide for other people's needs? I imagine we do. No matter how deep or how shallow, I think there's an inherent sense of providing that we all experience. Further, I think the feeling of belonging is an element of this. We feel we belong to a place when we feel that we're needed in the place. So, if you don't have such a place, what happens to you? Do you seek acceptance through other avenues? If there's nobody there to validate your existence, do you seek to fill such a void by giving more and more of yourself? Perhaps the most helpful individuals are simply lonely individuals looking for a place where they belong. It also begs to wonder, what happens when you do fill that need? If you've devoted your life/time/emotion/energy/everything to another, what is there left to give to your country/state/work/school/etc.?

Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home