Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Denim Day(s?)

It's Lee National Denim Day tomorrow. (I thought it was today because our company's celebrating today for some weird reason.)
http://www.denimday.com/about.asp
It's a day that's built around the concept of raising money for breast cancer research.
I'm very much in support for breast cancer research. My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer a year and a half ago. The stats for deaths from breast cancer are astonding. I encourage everybody to donate time/money to the cause (which is to say that it's not a more worthy cause than AIDS research or Parkinson's Disease or Stem Cell Research. It's just one of many many worthy causes).

HOWEVER (you knew it was coming, don't deny it), despite this being the 10th annual Lee National Denim Day, I wasn't aware of this Denim Day. I was aware of another Denim Day.
http://www.denimdayinla.org/history.html
This Denim Day is a day that's built around rape awareness and victim support. It's the Denim Day that we celebrated 2 years ago in UCSC. (I made the bulletin board for it in my building last year. It was one of very very few passive programs that I did. Julia was better at that.) Nothing against Lee's Denim Day but I think this Denim Day's more important, if for no other reason than because there are many worthy breast cancer research foundations already in existence and because there is more awareness/support for the cause than there is for rape awareness.

HOWEVER (number 2), I'm a big believer in supporting what you believe in. Therefore, pick one or two Denim Days and celebrate them both! (And, if you're of the limited pants crowd, make everyday Denim Day and just wear jeans 24/7.)

Here's to Denim Days and bringing awareness to the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home