Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Friday, December 16, 2005

Season's Greetings

So, I haven't really really posted in a long time. It's not really a result of anything in particular. It's more a combination of lack of interest on my part, an increase in workload, and an onset of pseudo-depression as evidenced in my post about work sucking. However, since I have only 9 more (working) days left at Synnex, my recent birthday, the upcoming holiday season, and a whole new future to look forward to, I've moved past this phase and am quite happy with life now. Plus, I'm listening to O-Zone's Dragostea Din Tei song (the Numa Numa song) as I'm typing this which is a great "upper" (this song's WAY too catchy. Even in Romanian (and the CD title the song was in? DiscO-Zone! How great is that!!?!).

My life's hasn't changed very much in the past month. I've watched more movies. I've listened to more songs. I've watched more TV. I've driven further. Other than that tho, no immense changes.

I really enjoyed Rent, Pride and Prejudice, Narnia, and King Kong. I liked the film version of Rent. I thought that the story was translated very effectively onto the big screen. I loved the directorial choices and some of the changes were very smart (like stretching the time frame and events out). I did miss some of the symbolic theatrics that were used on stage (at least when I saw it here, in San Jose) such as the angelic Angel and the "padlock." I also missed Mark's subplot. But these were minor. I just loved watching everything happen.

Pride and Prejudice is a very good movie. Keira Knightly looks as cute as can be in it. She pulls the entire Jane Austin range really well. Plus she has a really great genuine laugh that translates well on screen. I liked the style of the movie. It's more... down to Earth than other versions I've glimpsed. I liked that. It made the story feel a lot more real. Still, even in this "real" world, they made no shortcuts in the dialogue. It's seeped in the Victorian era, from the dancing to the dialogue to the bowing (the incessant bowing).

I really liked Narnia. It completely captured the story again for me. To be fair, I should be calling this movie The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe but that's just freaking too much to type. Anyway, the movie reminded me a lot of the old BBC version. The pacing is very much like it, as well as the character interaction. The children were perfect. Lucy and Edward were the best. Tilda Swinton, as usual, knocked my socks off. I totally think she should be in more movies. She's absolutely great. Liam Neeson as Aslan was dead-on too. He just had such power and grace. Also, the fighting was awesome. WETA did a great job, as expected.

Speaking of WETA, King Kong's a MASTERPIECE. It's so good. It's a great movie to watch at a relaxed pace. Everything about it screams in delight. Naomi Watts, Adrian Brody, and Jack Black were unbelievable. Kong was beyond perfect. There was such emulation, such emotion, such empathy. The scenes between Serkis, as Kong, and Watts, as Darrow, were majestic. Peter Jackson certainly proves his mettle (again) with this film. I think this film's transformed him into the go-to-guy in terms of directors. If anybody were to make a JLA movie, he's who I'd want to direct it.

Movies aside, I'm really happy it's near Christmas. I think it's going to be a good holiday season. I made a list of people I have to do holiday shopping for still. I think I've got a lot of shopping ahead of me. Still, labor of love so it's all good.

This is totally my favorite time of the year. I'm quite content indulging in the merriments of December. And, with that, I'm done with this post. I have another post too that's more somber. How's THAT for emotion swinging??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home