Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Formosa Friday

So, I just got back from Taipei 101. It's a 101 story building. A 101 story building. It was huge. I have pics. =P Anyway, situated within it's walls was a bookstore called Page One. This was one of the largest bookstores I had ever seen. And it was packing HELLA English books. I was in Taiwan Heaven. It even had a huge section on Literary Theory. It was quite surreal. Here I was, in Taiwan (an island nation!), standing in a bookstore looking at the largest Lit Theory section I'd seen outside of a college bookstore. I normally dislike Lit Theory (usually too complicated for my tastes) but I bought a book from the section that I'd probably have difficulty finding in any Borders or Barnes stateside (it's Wheel of Fire by Wilson Knight, in case you're really curious. It's a Shakespeare analysis book).

Article
So Massachusettes General Hospital has a surgeon who thinks that he's found a viable method of cryogenics. He's tested it about 200 times on pigs (according a Sydney newspaper) and is applying for rights to test on humans. It's actually kind of interesting. He drains the blood and stores it. Then he pumps in a chilled saline solution that cools the body down to 10 degree celsius where it loses heartbeats and eletrical impulses. He operates on the pigs and then warms its blood up and pumps it through the body again. He has a 90% success rate. What concerns me is that when the electrical impulses are lost in the brain, doesn't that mean that the mind's gone? What happens when bodily functions start again? I suppose it's not going to be figured out until human trials start (unless pigs somehow develop telepathetic communication capabilities and tell us what happens post-freezing).

Bryce Howard's been cast as Gwen Stacy for Spider-Man 3. Avi Arad's announced that Gwen survives the movie. I think he's lying. Otherwise, I have no idea why they brought in Gwen Stacy.

Along with reading a bunch of other books, I've been reading 2 Buffy analysis books. There's a book I highly recommend for Buffy-fanatics caled Why Buffy Matters by Rhonda Wilcox. It's really a good read in the analysis of Buffy. Best Buffy Book Ever? Probably.

Taiwan = unseasonably warm. Russia = unseasonably cold. Could this be the effects of global warming? We're totally screwed. It's going to say in our history books: "Human Beings: Extinct. Cause: Challenged Mother Nature and lost."

Wow, Chirac, France's president, has flat out told people that a response to terrorist attacks on French soil is nuclear weaponry. Talk about tough talk. What happens if someone calls his bluff?

Ok, that's it for now. Back to Taiwan goodness. I have a new book to read now. =P Chapter 2? It's on Hamlet. Awesome. (Ok, I'm a dork.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home