Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Breaking the Matrix

Gah! I can't even begin to transcribe just how much I hate working in a cubicle. How much I hate working 40 hours a week in a job I don't understand. I can't wait until I can quit this job and go out.

I think working for the university spoiled me immensely. I saw that it was possible to do something you enjoy; to work with people day in and day out on something you believe in. I can't wait until I have the opportunity to simply drop it all and go to work in that environment again.

It's the simple things I really miss. I miss being able to sit at a desk without looking at the computer. I miss working on a hand-on project that requires creativity, imagination, and problem-solving skills. I miss being in meetings where my input extends beyond the role of minute-taker. I miss having a rapport with people I admire and respect. I miss being able to see students trying to change the world instead of workers trying to survive. I miss being able to take the afternoon off to go to the comic book store. I miss coming in Saturday and working for 14 hours on something I really believe in. I miss talking to parents (this was a lot of fun, I don't know why). I miss being able to get to work without running into traffic. I miss being able to stand up and walk around. I miss having time to go see friends, to go out, to stay in. Most of all, I miss the community that surrounded Cowell College.

I can't stand working in an environment where I have to wake up the same time everyday, drive in the same amount of traffic, and work on the same damn thing everyday. I know now that I could never survive working in an office building. I just wouldn't be able to survive it.

I want to type "I can't wait until I move to Boston." I do plan on going and I'm really excited about it. But, that's not what I'm waiting for now. The truth of the matter is that right now, I can't wait until I quit this job and take a week off to sleep in, see friends, go out, not drive in traffic, not stare at a computer moniter, and just be.

Mike - I still plan on going to Boston in January. Save me a place. We'll go drink coffee like there's no tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Krang - yeah I know, school life and "real" life are so different - so much freedom in college and so many shackles in real life. When do you stop working at that place?

4:18 PM  
Blogger Chris "Krang" Yang said...

January, hopefully. Then I'm going to take some time and visit people, hang out. Then, off to Boston (again, hopefully).

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home