Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The best endorsement for UCSC ever

It's been awhile since I blogged. That's mostly because the stuff I've had to do in the past few weeks have grown exponentially as we've gotten closer and closer to the move-in date.

I don't have too much time to blog right now but I took a short break from the things I need to do to post a link for this article:

FrontPage Magazine: "The Worst School in America"

FrontPage Magazine is a online conservative website. Of course, to call it "conservative" is akin to calling shuttle launches "noisy." FrontPage Magazine is very much what I'd deem "ultra-conservative." I don't endorse the magazine.

However, I very much endorse this article. It's meant to be serious and condemning. It's meant to be a piece of journalism to make you think that UCSC should be shut down. It's meant to make people rise uproariously out of their seats, put on white hoods, and burn the campus to the ground.

Why am I recommending the article if it's meant to condemn the school I love and work at? Mostly because everyone of their "negative" points is precisely a reason why most students/staff/faculty here (me included) love the school.

How dare we endorse radical thinking! How dare we challenge conventional thought! How dare we have feminist teachers! How dare we have lesbian teachers! How dare people believe that American culture might possibly be racist! Sexist!?! Homophobic?!?!

Try as it might, I don't think this is a negative article. This article should be put on our recruitment publications.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ravi said...

The Standing Order of the Regents states that the University curriculum shouldn't be used for political purposes.

What is the purpose of Theory and Practice of Resistance and Social Movements? How is this academically beneficial to an 18-21 year old?
Are the opposing views presented?

Are economics, environmental issues, women's studies, sociology, and racism being approcahed from an academic or political viewpoint?

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home