Rumble, young man, rumble

May 25, 1965. Muhammed Ali vs. Sonny Liston. One round. One punch. Knock-out. Float, Sting, Rumble

Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

What can I say? I graduated from UC Santa Cruz (rather reluctantly. I really want to go back) with a bachlor's in Literature.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Simplfying Life.

I saw this website yesterday and I think it's the greatest thing in the world (barring miracles and free money/food for the masses). It's Pocketmod. It's a Java program that lets you print a one-page sheet of paper that you fold up into a pocket-sized disposable planner. It's got dozens of preset page options, including calenders and to-do lists and games.

I've completely fallen in love with this Pocket Mod. It's gotten to the point where I wish I had more projects to do that I could use this planner on a regular basis. It's great for students, especially college. I remember I used to take notes on scraps of paper I was using for bookmarks or that I had leftover after doing origami with notebook paper. Pocket Mod would've been perfect.

I also saw the Hipster PDA around the same time. (Btw, 43 folders is a great blog to read too.) Along the same thought process as the Pocket Mod, the Hipster is simply 500 index cards clipped together with a huge alligator clip paper clip. Even above and beyond, however, are people who have come up with Hipster templates that you can print out that offer all the things that a manual dayplanner has (even a sundial mod!).

These "low-tech" innovations had me thinking. It seems that the more and more we get our lives lodged into the technological way of life, the more and more we look for ways to do things in an "accoustic" way (so-to-speak). Even as we increase our technological prowess, we seem to value those things that are simply an extension of how life was ten, twenty, even fifty years ago. A great example is the Logitech io Digital Pen which allows a user to write notes on a sheet of paper, allowing the notes to be automatically transcribed into a computer or PDA or whatever. My favorite projection of advanced technology in a sci-fi work is in Firefly when newspapers and maps that are as is but with displays that convey a digital picture projection. It's like a moniter that's just as thick and pliable (and, assumably, disposable) as a sheet of paper. "Low-tech" in the coming millenium.

Even with innovation, the easiest thing to do is still to simply write stuff down on your hand (the first Palm Pilot) or on sheets of folded paper in your pocket. Perhaps we were never meant to have the technology that we have now. I wouldn't be surprised. However, I also am not surprised that we're not letting that minor detail stop us. As technology continues to expand at an exponential rate (this is the correct use of the word "exponential," btw), we proceed to amaze ourselves every single day. That, my friends, is the apex of optimism and it gives me hope in our meager race that one day... well, frankly, that one day the world of Star Trek will be a reality. =D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home